Re: Oracle : Help Techy Questions need answered

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/03

raymond.craig_at_gecm.com wrote in message
<6dgni4$fmi_at_gcsin3.geccs.gecm.com>...

>1. Personal Oracle Ver.7 for NT, if purchased would this upgrade be
>compatible in porting over our present Oracle 7 for windows 3.11 forms &
>reports.

Personal Oracle is not "server database" in the sense that it can robustly and efficiently service multiple Oracle clients. If you want to port Oracle to NT, I suggest that you get either Oracle Workgroup Server for NT, or Oracle Enterprise Server for NT.

However, if the PO database on NT is going to be used for local use only, then you should have little problem in porting your Windows 3.11 forms and reports to NT. But note, that this has little to do with the actual database - you need to get Oracle Forms for NT and there may be some "upgrading/converting" required I would think if you have an oldish Windows 3.1 Oracle Forms app.

>2. What TCP/IP stack does Oracle V.7 for NT support.

NT has a built in TCP/IP protocol stack. Besides some security related issues, the protocol stack is robust enough to handle Oracle and Oracle fully supports it (and the SPX and NetBEUI protocols on NT too).

>3. Will Oracle 7 NT work with Novell Client32 TCP/IP.

An Oracle back-end will work with almost any Oracle front-end. Just make sure your front-end is properly configured (SQL*Net and ODBC if applicable) and that the back-end listener supports the front-end SQL*Net version.

Of course, you may have problems if the front-end app uses tables and stuff from Oracle 6 that has been discontinued in Oracle 8 for example.

Also, an IP packet is an IP packet. It does not matter if this IP packet has been assembled by a Novell IP stack, NT IP stack, Unix IP stack, or whatever. Connectivity will not be a problem.

>4. What is the Minimum memory requirements to run Oracle Ver.7 under NT.

It can run on 32MB RAM, but you can also drive a Ferari on Tennessee Whiskey. Waste of good whiskey and you probably stuff up the Ferari's engine. Anyway, you should not drink and drive. :-)

>5. What is the Minimum Hardware requirements to run oracle Ver.7 under
>NT.

Pentium 133 or even lower with a couple of MB of hardisk space. You can put Volkswagen Beetle engine in a Ferari, but don't expect to win any races. :-)

>6. Developer 2000 Ver 1.3.2 will this be compatible with NT or would a
>upgrade be required and would this effect the software which has been
>developed using this version.

Not sure what the latest Dev 2000 version is. But knowing Oracle, they always provide upgrade ulilities and tools to ensure compatibility of your existing data with nwever versions.

>7. Will Oracle forms and reports developed using Developer/2000 on a
>windows NT platform work on a Windows 3.1 or Windows for workgroups 3.11
>platform.

If the versions are the same, yes. Oracle Forms is suppose to be portable, yes?

>Any help would be grateful

Er.. if you're not going to use that Tennessee Whiskey you can send it this way.
;-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Mar 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST