Re: (Delphi 3 and Oracle 7/8) Which way to connect Delphi to Oracle?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/01

Christoph Jüngling wrote in message <6dblmq$3rq$1_at_news.nacamar.de>...

>SERVER NAME seems to be DATABASE NAME, isn't it? If so, I can't leave
>this field blank (I'm currently using Personal Oracle 7.2, Trial
>Version), and "2:" (as recommended in the Oracle Help File) is rejected
>as a "Bad Parameter". "ORCL" also is unknown, I guess because there is
>no TNSNAMES.ORA file in my \orawin95\network\admin directory.

The SERVER NAME is the TNS alias name as specified in the file TNSNAMES.ORA \ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN directory.

The connection strings you're specifying is for old SQL*NET 1.x and not SQL*NET 2.x or Net8 (PO 7.2 probably uses SQL*NET 1.x). I have never really worked with SQL*Net 1.x. I think you specify the protocol,hostname, SID and port all in one string. What you need to do is to specify the bequeath protocol (this initiates a local connection directly to the database, bypassing SQL*NET) and the SID of your local database. Sorry, but I can't help you out on SQL*NET 1.x, it's a bit before my time.. :-)

Why don't you get PO 8 Trail Version instead? It's on the Oracle FTP server, ftp.oracle.com, in the /pub/www/po8mle/win95 directory. You can either ftp the complete package from the large subdir as a single file, or ftp it as 45 smaller files from the small subdir.

regards,
Billy Received on Sun Mar 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CST