database design need input

From: Haris Kusumo <hkusumo_at_elixir.com.au>
Date: 1998/03/01

Hi,

I am thinking of designing distributed database with the following setup, can you tell me if this can be done using Oracle database? let say.

    Company HQ in Singapore
    Company Main Office in Australia is sydney     and smaller office branch in Melbourne, Perth, Queensland

+--------------------+

| Singapore |

+--------------------+

+--------------------+

| Sydney                  |

+--------------------+

                                    | Melbourne    |
| Perth                |                    | Queensland    |

Say in

    singapore using Oracle entreprise database to store all data globally.

    sydney using Oracle enterprise or workgroup database to store all data related to australia

    melbourne, perth, queensland using oracle for workgroup to store data related to each region.

is it possible say when people in melbourne enter a product code and description and those information is
propagated to the rest of the world.
how fast will the information propagation take place ? (real-time)

the aim of the setup is all the data from the rest of the world will be replicated to singapore database, so they can make report from data around the world.
the database in sydney should contain all data from all states in australia so they can make reporting based on regional data as well as for backup just incase the link to singapore down.

let say the link between singapore and sydney is down. and people in melbourne insert a new product information, and the information is propagated around australia. and say 15 minutes later people in Japan enter the same product information with the same key but slightly different description. when the link between singapore and sydney is up again, how oracle syncronize the data ?
since the data from japan is already committed to the database and later on the data from sydney comes in.
which data will be store in singapore database (from sydney or japan) ?

If I develop application using Oracle developer/2000 web enable, does it support printing support since
Java won't have access to devices on client computer (unlike activeX). say I want to print invoice to printer 1, purchase order to print 2, and so on..
say in invoice screen, there is 2 buttons. 1 button to print invoice to print 1 and the other button to print shipping notice to printer 2. The printing facility should print the report directy to the printer doesn't require to print on the screen.

can this be done ?
NB: the client will be using Netscape or other java enable browser not running developer runtime on client machine.

I appreciate it if you could reply soon. Please send the reply to hkusumo_at_elixir.com.au.

Thanks in advance
- Haris - Received on Sun Mar 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CST