Re: Database vs. Instance ?

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/02/27

Leo Salminen (leo.salminen_at_ntc.nokia.com) wrote: [...]
>Does anyone know, why do Oracle define users and schema objects as parts
>of database, not as parts of an instance ?

Because a database can be accessed by multiple instances, typically with each instance on a distinct node of a clustered system. Such a configuration is called Oracle Parallel Server and is available only on platforms that have specific technologies to support clustering. Every instance in an OPS has access to the same database, same schema objects, etc.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.