Case insensitivity in frontend queries (2nd Posting)

From: Raj Gabriëlse <Raj_at_Botany_Bay.Con>
Date: 1998/02/27

Hi All,

(Please reply to newsgroup, email not required, the address is bogus anyways)

This must have been asked before...

Is it possible to make Oracle case insensitive? So that a user of our non-oracle frontend can enter selection criteria without having to worry about case?

I'm not interrested in constructions or functions that somehow convert entered criteria or data to either all lower/upper *before* it get's send to Oracle. They are of no use, since data in the database needs to be both lower/upper case, plus I don't wan't to suffer the penalty of indices not being used as a result of functions applied on indexed columns.

The solution I'm after would have to be global for the database instance, I'm therefore looking for a method to be applied at a lower level. Since the instance is dedicated for our application (no other application will ever be allowed to access it other than thru our frontend), we do not have to take effects into account for other applications that *do* require case sensitivity.

Anyone out there that knows a way to do this?

Any help much appreciated.

TIA
Raj Gabrielse Received on Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST