Newbie Documentation Question

From: Chris J. Guidry <chrisg_at_csd.apl.cul.ca>
Date: 1998/02/27

In the Reference section of the Oracle 7.3.3 Server Administrators Guide there are formulas
for Estimating the Space Required by Non-Clustered Tables. The steps to perform this are as
follows:

  1. Calculate the total block header size.
  2. Calculate the available data space per data block.
  3. Calculate the space used per row.
  4. Calculate the total number of rows that will fit in a data block.

In step 3. there is a formula to calculate the Space Used per Row as follows:

     rowspace = MIN ( UB1 * 3 + UB4 + SB2 , rowsize ) + SB2

where UB1,UB4 and SB2 are all constants (1,4 and 2 bytes respectively) and rowsize is the
sum of all column sizes plus some overhead, in bytes. Am I missing something here? It seems to me the sum of all columns would have to be less
than 9 bytes in order for the MIN function output to be the rowsize. If this is a
documentation typo could someone please provide the proper formula. TIA Received on Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST