Re: Calling a DLL from an Oracle Stored Procedure

From: Quinton McCombs <quintonm_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1998/02/27

You will need to write a program that runs on the server that can access the DLL. You must use dbms_pipe to communicate with this program. This setup will allow you to send data to the processes (which can access the dll) and get a result set returned to you. This can be very slow.

There is also an extention for Oracle (I can not remember what it is called) that will allow you to call DLL's from PL/SQL on Oracle 7. It was created because of the speed problems with using database pipe to communicate with a deamon process (described above). It is still slow and requires that the DLL be compiled through one of Oracle's precompilers.

As far as I know, these are the only two options that you have on Oracle 7.