SQL Plus and LONG datatype

From: <yaffer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/02/26

I need to run a sqlplus script to write the contents of a LONG column to a file. In my script I spool to a file and then execute a stored procedure that DBMS_OUTPUTs the LONG column. But the DBMS_OUTPUT returns an error -- I guess it can't handle a LONG.

Are there ways to do this without any 3rd party tools? This is a script to be executed from SQLPlus -- it does not have an application calling it. If I do need 3rd party tools, what are some options? Thanks!