Char & Varchar fields

From: Marco Pagan <marco.pagan_at_abb.it>
Date: 1998/02/25

If I create a view on a table with a filed char(5) and on this field I put a decode the field of the view is created like varchar2(5).

Example

TABLE A
   FIELD1 CHAR(5); Create view view_a
  as select decode(field1, 'abcde', '12345', field1) field1

           from a;

VIEW view_a

   field1 varchar2(5);

May anyone explain me why ? Is there a mode to have the view field char ? Thanks Received on Wed Feb 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST