Re: Help: Oracle, create Tables in Main-Memory, not on disk

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowden_at_supergeek.com>
Date: 1998/02/19

Interesting notion. the simple, obvious solution is to pin the table in cache. That way you get the whole thing plugged into row cache and avoid i/o, for the most part, anyway. You might be able to do some tricky ram-disk thing and create a tablespace on the fly in the ramdisk, then stick your disk-based table there for the life of the instance, but that is too tricky for my blood. Plus, you would have to get the thing back to disk before shutdown, wouldn't you? Hmm...

In Oracle 8 we get multiple buffer pools. You can reserve a chunk of cache for such tables, so that they never age out of cache.

Roger Received on Thu Feb 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CST