Re: JDBC thin client applet and Netscape security?

From: Bernard Van Haecke <Bernard.Vanhaecke_at_Belgium.Sun.COM>
Date: 1998/02/16

Peter,

A common problem with the privileges is the following: the scope of the privilege you set is limited to the block of code where it is located. If your code contains something like

    if (netscape) { // check wheter you're running mozilla

        // enable all necessary privileges here

    }

    // do something that needs the privilege to be set     ...

then you'll see that the statements following the conditional block do NOT benefit from the privileges.

Hope this helps!

Peter Straehl wrote:

> I'm trying to build an Applet with Oracle's thin client that should run
> on Netscape 4.04 and connect to an Oracle 7.3 DB on an other server than
> the web server. I have signed the Applet using Netscape's zigbert and I
> have enbled the ("UniversalConnect") privilege before I do the
> 'DriverManager.getConnection'. Though I keep getting a
> netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: Couldn't connect to
> '<serverXY>' with origin from '<pcClientXYZ>'.

Bernard
 --

"JDBC: Java Database Connectivity", IDG Books Worldwide, ISBN 0-7645-3144-1, December 1997, by Bernard Van Haecke. Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST