Re: Indexes, Extents, Performance

From: Kevin P. Fleming <kfleming_at_access-laserpress.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

No, indexes are searched by using their keys, which is similar to doing a RowID search in a table. The only time that having more than one extent will be an issue in an index is when the query is doing a RANGE-SCAN on the index, for all values between a lower and upper value. In this case the values needed may be spread between multiple extents and this could cause excessive I/Os.