Re: Bulk Loading Policies

From: Bob Nightingale <rnightingale_at_comshare.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

JAL wrote in message <6c054m$lqe$1_at_usenet11.supernews.com>...

>in order for clients to do this they must have DBA rights, which I can't
>believe, to use SQL Loader. We would prefer to have the clients do the
 bulk
>policies you have in place regarding this. Did you find it more
>advantageous to have the client do the bulk loads or is this something that
>should be done by the DBA?
> Thanks in advance for your answers.

I would suggest that your users put data for bulk update in a directory that you can read. One directory per table to update. Perhaps the data file can end in .DAT and a flag file of .FLG to indicate that the data file is completely written to (MMDDHHMM.DAT & .FLG). Then your job can seek those files that end in .FLG and process the corresponding .DAT files. You could set this up as a job that runs every 10 minutes in cron. After the job is run and the data is loaded, just remove the .FLG file. This will work well for data you're loading in APPEND mode of SQL Loader.

The danger of letting users submit their own jobs is that you'll lose any control you have over performance of your system. Using a job scheduling system like AutoSys or Control-M would give you even more control of Unix and Database jobs.

--Bob. Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST