Re: Standby Database

From: joel.thrasher <joel.thrasher_at_MCI2000.com>
Date: 1998/02/16

Raman.....Using Symmetric Replication to perform the operations of a standby database is not a good idea in all situations. 1) You must be careful not to overload the number of transactions that Sym. Rep. can handle. 2) You must have planned any and all conflicts resolution routines (Yea, I know you said standby, but with Sym. Rep. the database is up - and people just can't resist touching it.) 3) You must have experience with Sym. Rep. 4) You have appropriate bandwidth to handle the traffic. I was an instructor for Oracle. I don't recommend Symmetric Replication as an implementation of a standby database, unless the database is small, the number of transactions per second are low, and you have experience with the Symmetric replication facilities

Joel Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST