Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Grinalds <grinalds_at_konts.lv>
Date: 1998/02/16

Billy Verreynne wrote:

>3. Are there any tools which can help convert from VB apps to ORACLE forms?

> Doubt it. Developer-2000 can generate both VB and Forms code, but it's only
> a code generator and not a converter. I have never really worked with Forms
> (played around with it a bit), but know some VB programmers that got suck
> into doing Forms development - they became frustrated caffeine addicts after
> Forms... :-)

In Designer there is theoretically idea of reengineering - you can theoretically convert back from Forms *.fmb file to Designer.

> I would recommend not using Forms. There are more good VB programmers
> available than Form programmers. VB is more flexible than Forms. And using
> proper OO design, the VB application will have a much longer life cycle than
> a generated Dev2000 Forms application. Finally, with VB the integration of
> the app into e-mail, OLE2, DSS software etc. will be much easier. Remember
> that Forms is a db client development tool. Period. VB and Delphi for
> example is *much* more than just that.

Forms modules can be converted to Unix or used in WWW thru the Server runtime - more platform independant than VB. Generation from Designer, common standarts and common repository can later help in maintenance and reengineering in large projects. All this Windows things of animation and e-mail can also be embedded. There are also "100% Generate or die" crew, who can convince you more than I.

Grinalds Received on Mon Feb 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST