PUBLIC:Re: Bulk Loading Policies

From: Eugen Nyffeler <eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com>
Date: 1998/02/13

JAL wrote:

> Hi all,
> We have Oracle 7.3.3.4 on a Unix box, Solaris 2.5.1 and we will be
> receiving data to upload into the production database, i.e. bank
> reconciliation tapes. The data will be initially loaded into an
> intermediate table before going into the database. We have been told that
> in order for clients to do this they must have DBA rights, which I can't
> believe, to use SQL Loader. We would prefer to have the clients do the bulk
> policies you have in place regarding this. Did you find it more
> advantageous to have the client do the bulk loads or is this something that
> should be done by the DBA?
> Thanks in advance for your answers.
>
> --
> Juanita R. Alvarez
> Database Administration Team Lead
> Pima Community College
> 4905A E. Broadway
> Tucson, AZ 85709
> Email is jalvarez_at_tpimacc.pima.edu

Hi

If the normal user does the load and runs for every problem to the DBA (say me),
then i would say leave it to me. I woul'd try to run it automatically (which is what i suggest any way). I had once a system where the sql*loader
was started as a batch job and i had only to control the log files (the batch-job might send a mail if there was a problem). If the data move from temporary tables to the permanent has to be done by the DBA, let the DBA (or the system) do the complete job.

To my limited knowledge there's no reason why the client has to have DBA rights.

rgds
eugen Received on Fri Feb 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CST