Year 2000 Issue

From: NiceGirl <nicegirl_at_nicegirl.com>
Date: 1998/02/12

Our company is using Oracle 7.1.6 running forms 3.0. We have around 500 tables containing date fields. The problem that we have is forms 3.0 does not work with 'DD-MON-RR' date mask.

One of our developer comes up with a bright idea to solve our Y2k problem.

Create a database trigger for all tables.

create trigger y2000
before insert on <tablename>
for each row
begin
  :new.date1 := to_date(to_char(:old.date1, 'DD-MON-YY'), 'DD-MON-RR'); end;

This looks like a very good and cheap solution and we can always enhance this trigger to make it foolproof.

However, my major concern is what is the implication? Where is the pitfall? How does it affect the performance? Is there something that I have oversee?

Please post your comments on this news group or email me. Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated. Received on Thu Feb 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST