Where to go with MSCS (Was Re: Installing Oracle 8.0.3)

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/02/12

In article <34E14912.18B9DAF9_at_mail.missouri.edu>, Hang Chen <c670646_at_mail.missouri.edu> wrote:

[Please don't crosspost between cdo groups!]

>See, what a DBA's life is.

My ISM won't love me
my SGA is through
my imports been goin' 80 hours
I've got the DBA blues...

Oracle wants 4 controllers
My sysadmin gave me 2
had to put redo logs down in /opt yeah,
got the DBA blues...

Veritas treats me raw
but won't even parallel through
no ora_home on vxfs
got the DBA blues...

>BTW, I am going to graduate in May with my M.S. in CS. I'd like to get a
>job of Oracle DBA anywhere in the states. But I am no idea about the
>industrial world outside schools. Do you have any comments or referrals?

Put some time in with one of the "Big Boys" (ie, Oracle), then you can write your own ticket. You may have to accept some silly job elsewhere first, depending on how desperate Oracle is (I get the idea they are pretty desperate for warm bodies, but that may only be "experienced" bodies, I don't know).

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com