Re: Shared memory

From: Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer <Casper.Dik_at_Holland.Sun.Com>
Date: 1998/02/11

[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]] "J.D. Fagan" <jdfagan_at_fcicom.com> writes:

>Here's content of my /etc/system file for Solaris 2.6:

>set shmsys: shminfo_shmmax = 209,715,200
>set shmsys: shminfo_shmseg = 300
>set semsys: seminfo_semmns = 4000
>set semsys: seminfo_semmni = 210
>set rlim_fd_max = 1024
>set rlim_fd_cur = 1024

>Does this mean my shared memory space is equal to 206 mb * 300 = 62.914 gb?

No. The OS doesn't preallocate all of this. It means you can have 300 segments and you can have them size 206MB, but something will have to give.

I.e., at one point getting a new segment will fail.

>And if I only have 0.5 gb of physical RAM, would this be a bad thing for the
>OS? The reason I ask is that Oracle 7.3.2.2 installer apparently modified
>these values to these settings. But they are way over their recommended
>documented values.

No, the OS should work fine (but I don't think we like "," in /etc/system)

The shmmax value can be set arbitrarily high; it won't cause any allocations in and by itself/

Casper

--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.