Re: Executing shell commands from trigger

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/02/11

Peter Chan wrote in message <34DB648A.64EA_at_nortel.ca>...
>I was wondering if it is possible to execute UNIX shell commands from
>a trigger?

Bad Thing(tm) IMHO.

>And if it is possible, how is this done.

Two ways. Use the database pipes (which requires a Pro*C server program to listen and service requests on the db pipe). Insert command into a special "service" table and have a Unix shell script (using SQL*PLus) polling this table and running the commands.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Feb 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CST