SQL*Loader not behaving properly!

From: David Squier <dsquier_at_wenet.net>
Date: 1998/02/10

I'm having a bit of trouble with SQL*Loader. Perhaps someone out there is wiser than I.

The system is Oracle8 8.0.3 under HP-UX 10.20. Using conventional-path, SQL*Loader inserts 64 rows before each commit. I naturally wanted to increase this to eek out a bit more performance. Modifying the BINDSIZE and ROWS command-line arguments, I issue the following command:

sqlload username/password control=100.ctl bindsize=1048576 rows=1000

Since the bind size is 10M, I should have *ample* room to fit 1000 rows. What happens is SQL*Loader loads 1000 rows at a time about 20% of the time. The rest of the time, it isn't even coming close, sometimes only inserting 100 rows before having to commit.

I know the bindsize has some OS-specific constraints, but I'm not familiar with how HP-UX handles such things. If someone has run across this before, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

David Squier Received on Tue Feb 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST