VB vs. Access Front End to Oracle 7.3

From: Brent Moonen <brentmo_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1998/02/09

I am developing a system that will use an Oracle 7.3 back end DB, as well as a few Access 2.0 systems for read-only purposes. I now face the dilemma of choosing to develop the user interface in Visual Basic 5.0 (using ODBC, or RDO) or in Microsoft Access 97 (using ODBC, or ODBCDirect). I am pretty evenly skilled in DAO developement in both Access and VB. I will need to query tables in both Access 2.0 and in the Oracle 7.3 DB (heterogeneous joins, read-only). The Access 2.0 databases will eventually (within a year) be moving into Oracle 7.3 back ends and the front ends (currently Access 2.0) will need to be converted to whichever tool I decide upon. My questions are as follows:

  1. Anyone have experiences they could share using either tool (Access 97, or VB 5.0) vs. Oracle 7.3 using ODBC, RDO, etc? Any problems that you ran into in your development?
  2. In VB 5.0 can you combine the use of RDO 2.0 and DAO 3.5? (Not in the same query but within the application)
  3. How do the different technologies (RDO, ODBC, DAO) fit into Microsoft's new ADO model? (I know very little about ADO, for all I know it may not ever happen, but I heard that it is where Microsoft is headed)

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brent Moonen Received on Mon Feb 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST