Re: Learning Oracle

From: <cathexis_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/02/09

On 8 Feb 98 15:47:43 -0500, jlindula_at_cc.memphis.edu wrote:

>Hello, I new at Oracle can someone direct to some good web sites or books on
>the subject?
>
>Thanks,
>Joe Lindula
>___________

	Joe,
	I have some feedback for you. First of all, subscribe to this
group. Many of the threads appears over your head for now, but when I had a question I got lots of feedback. Secondly, I also am brand new and have been prowling Border's, etc. looking for thwe best titles. At first, I bought books on SQL and PL/SQL but they seemed out of context. That is, what I needed was an overview of Oracle, RDBMS's, etc.

        This is what I did: I downloaded a copy of PO8 (Personal Oracle 8) as a TRIAL copy from Oracle's web-site. I've had alot of trouble both getting complete files and running the batch program that loads it. (It's a bear of a program for your typical web-type download!). So now I've purchased a book that comes with PO7.3 on a CD in the back. There are plenty of those out there. I've loaded it on a P166 with 16meg RAM plain vanilla PC and it runs fine. BTW, PO8 would need at LEAST 24-32 megRAM and over 1 GIG for the install. I still intend to load it because I think there's a big future in PO8 enhancements.Bottom line? Get a copy of POx on your box and make sure you can at least open SQL*PLUS and the Database. (easy).

        The 2 books I see most recomended here are both out of Oracle Press: "A Beginner's Guide" and "The Complete Reference". I bought the Guide because, well, that's what I am-- a beginner. :) It's a great book and I love it. What makes Oracle different? Better? Why is "Architecture" important? These are good questions and this book does a great job of answering them. A newer book out is Oracle 8: A Beginner's Guide", just as good or better. But of course you oughta have PO8 for that.

	In summation:
	1. Subscribe to this group.
	2. Get PO7.3 or 8 on your home box.
	3. Load and play with it a little .
	4. Get the Beginner's Guide.
	5. Ask people here for help, they're good folks.
	6. Don't try too hard and ENJOY- this is the fun stuff!

	Thanks to all,
		Cathexis