Re: Connect Oracle 7.3 using ODBC, rdo and ActiveX

From: George Cova <nojunkmail.delacova_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 1998/02/08

I'm not sure if the RDO control will allow a dsn-less connection, but that should be easy enough for you to try out. I developed a VB application and used the new ActiveX Data Object (ADO) against an Oracle 7.3 database using a dsn-less connection and can tell you that it works just fine. The only benefit of the dsn-less connection in my experience was that the user data source name did not have to be defined in the ODBC manager. The dsn-less connection for Oracle still needs the following on the client machine: -Oracle sql*net
-ODBC driver

The Oracle sql*net must be configured on the client's machine. But, the ODBC stuff does not. That's done in code be the developer (that's you).

As far as the ODBC driver goes, most people I've worked with have greated success with the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver than the "Oralcle ODBC Driver." The MS Oracle driver can be found as part of the ADO download at www.microsoft.com/data/ado

I hope this helps.