Re: Help recover from crash

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/02/08

>Subject: Help recover from crash
>From: clark_at_interaccess.com (Clark Murray)
>Date: 2/8/98 1:03PM GMT
>
>Our data warehouse crashed on Friday and I'm trying to figure out what I can
>do to recover it. We're using Oracle 7 on OS/2. I don't think we were
>running in archivelog mode. The way we've been backing up the warehouse has
>been to merely backup the datafiles and the oracle directory to tape while
>the
>database is still up. I restored these files from tape but can't get the
>database to come up. Here are the errors:
>
>SQL*DBA: Release 7.1.4.3.0 - Production on Sat Feb 7 14:04:29 1998
>
>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.
>
>Oracle7 Workgroup Server Release 7.1.4.3.0 - Production Release
>PL/SQL Release 2.1.4.3.0 - Production
>
>Connected.
>ORACLE instance started.
>Database mounted.
>ORA-01122: database file 5 failed verification check
>ORA-01110: data file 5: 'd:\oradata\big_rb.dat'
>ORA-01207: file is more recent than control file - old control file
>Attempting to dismount database........Database dismounted.
>Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.
>SQL*DBA complete.
>

>Can someone please help me get started on reviving this database?

Do you know how many data files make up your database, i.e. is it more than 5. If it is 5 then you *may* be lucky and you could try the following.

login to sqldba

startup mount

alter database noarchivelog
/
alter database datafile 'd:\oradata\big_rb.dat' offline drop /
alter database open
/
If it is a true datawarehouse and you therefore had no updates occurring at the time of the crash, then you could well find that the database will start. What you will then have to do is drop the tablespace that the datafile belongs to, from the name of the file I assume it is the rollback tablespace, and recreate in order to reuse the datafile.

If you have a lot more datafiles than 5 then you would probably be better of seeing if you can find a more recent control file or recreating the control file, either way if you mail me a list of the files you restored then I may be able to help out.

If you need any more help then mail me.
HTH and good luck
Rob Received on Sun Feb 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST