Oracle 8 Nested Tables

From: Arthur Fuller <artful_at_passport.ca>
Date: 1998/02/08

I've built several test tables with nested tables, but none have LOTS of rows, and I'm wondering about performance penalties, if any, with this arrangement. From the user perspective it's much more understandable when a child table is nested, but what price am I paying? How are queries that poll the nested table affected? Say I have Orders and OrderDetails, and I want to find all the orders with a given Product_ID as one of the Details. Will it take any longer if the Details table is nested?

Is a nested table just a fancy name for a pointer to a second table?

If you have experience with this structure, especially on lots of rows, I'd love to hear from you.

Arthur Fuller Received on Sun Feb 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST