Re: Dropping unrecoverable TS

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/02/08

>Subject: Dropping unrecoverable TS
>From: dkhan_at_epoch.com (Don Khan)
>Date: 2/5/98 8:35PM GMT
>

>Does anyone know how to drop a tablespace with all of it's datafiles if one
>datafile is unrecoverable? I can't make the datafile offline in fixed mode.
>also do not have a backup of the tablespace. I need to drop the tablespace
>otherwise Oracle 8.03 will not start up. Please send an email respose if
>possibe.
>
>---
>Don Khan
>EMC Corporation, Milford MA.
>Phone: 508-435-2075 x56206
>Fax: 508-497-7003

I don't know whether or not you've sorted this out, but if not you could try the following :-

Login to svrmgrl and type
startup mount
/

when the prompt returns type
alter database noarchivelog
/

next type
alter database datafile 'filename' offline drop /

alter database open
/

alter tablespace 'tablespace' offline immediate /

drop tablespace 'tablespace'
/

alter database archivelog
/

create tablespace ....
/

shutdown

Once this is done I would recommend doing a full cold backup.

HTH
 Rob

PS I've only tested this on ORACLE 7.3 but see no reason why it shouldn't work under 8.0.3 Received on Sun Feb 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST