Re: Choices for ODBC on PC

From: Kaboel Karso <kaboel_at_wau.mis.ah.nl>
Date: 1998/02/06

Hi,

As as I know all ODBC drivers working against Oracle are two-tier, meaning they all need SQL*Net. The only single tier ODBC-driver I've heard of is of the MS SQLServer.

From the Oracle CD you can install just SQL*Net.

If your clients are ms windows based, you should have received a client cd as well with all the client stuff. The 16bits odbc driver from Intersolve I used (till last year), was much stabler than the Oracle one. I don't know what the status is now.

Cheers,

On Thu, 05 Feb 1998 19:54:54 -0500, Robert Rombaut <rrom_at_lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

>I am trying to determine the best ODBC driver to install on all of our
>users PCs. I am investigating this because we are in the midst of
>migrating from Ingres6.4 to Oracle8 on Solaris2.6.
>
>I have looked at the Oracle ODBC drivers, but they require SQLnet. This
>might not be a problem if SQLnet came bundled by itself, but it seems
>that its only available from installing other Oracle products - maybe
>I'm wrong ?
>
>Other ODBC vendors don't use SQLnet, but they require server side
>software to be installed.
>
>Bottom line is that I would like to go with an ODBC driver thats easy to
>install, bulletproof and fast - Yeah right!
>
>I'm all ears.
>
>Thanks
>-rrr

>Bob Rombaut
>Laboratory for Laser Energetics
>Email: rrom_at_lle.rochester.edu

Kaboel Karso Received on Fri Feb 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST