SQL Loader problems

From: Yogesh <gt5443b_at_prism.gatech.edu>
Date: 1998/02/05

Questions on SQL Loader:

  1. I am having problems loading multiline text fields in a LONG field in an oracle table. My text file has a "description" field which is typically 8-9 lines with line breaks. I think it should be possible to load multiline text in one LONG field. But SQL Loader fails with "cannot find second enclosing character" for this field ie it refuses to go beyond one line.

Oracle's Server Utility User's Guide has a SQL Loader section but almost all examples are such that the data fields in the text file are all on one line. I did not see an example with the data fields separated over multiple lines (ie had line breaks within a logical record).

2. Even if I join all these lines so that its just one long line, I still have problems loading. This time because SQL Loader thinks that the length of the field is out of the limit. I have defined the field as LONG in the table which should be more than enough to hold 7-8 lines of text. Is there anything to override this, especially any setting in my SQL loader Control file?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yogesh Pathak
Georgia Tech
gt5443b_at_prism.gatech.edu Received on Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST