Choices for ODBC on PC

From: Robert Rombaut <rrom_at_lle.rochester.edu>
Date: 1998/02/05

I am trying to determine the best ODBC driver to install on all of our users PCs. I am investigating this because we are in the midst of migrating from Ingres6.4 to Oracle8 on Solaris2.6.

I have looked at the Oracle ODBC drivers, but they require SQLnet. This might not be a problem if SQLnet came bundled by itself, but it seems that its only available from installing other Oracle products - maybe I'm wrong ?

Other ODBC vendors don't use SQLnet, but they require server side software to be installed.

Bottom line is that I would like to go with an ODBC driver thats easy to install, bulletproof and fast - Yeah right!

I'm all ears.

Thanks
-rrr

Bob Rombaut