INSERT INTO and LONG columns

From: Rod Gustavson <rod.gustavson_at_yale.edu>
Date: 1998/02/04

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to accomplish the following?

I am trying to copy all the rows from a table to itself, but with one value changed. One of the columns is of type LONG, so INSERT INTO returns error ORA-00997, Illegal use of LONG datatype.

Example:
column_a, column_b, and column_c are numbers, column_d is a LONG.

INSERT INTO my_table
  SELECT column_a,

         2,
         column_c,
         column_d

  FROM my_table
  WHERE column_b = 1

If column_d is not a long, the code works.

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks.

Rod Gustavson
rod.gustavson_at_yale.edu Received on Wed Feb 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST