Re: RAID-5 and Oracle Performance

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/30

Hi,

I am sharing my system setup details and experience with you. May be you'll find some points useful.

I have a similar setup as yours - 4 nos 8400s, 5 2100s, 1 4100 etc., with 3 boxes of SW500(HSZ40), 1 no. SW800(HSZ50), 1 no. SW600(HSZ70)(recently acquired). 8400s have RAM ranging from 1-4 GB. I have a distributed OLTP database of about 200 GB with some of the databases growing at over 100% per annum. About a year back we started using 9 GB disks as we were running out of storage shelves and space in our storage works boxes. And we are planning to shift rest of our databases on to 9 GB disk raid sets. We are also planning a shift to fibre channel based controllers.

Some of our storage boxes have upto 4 controllers which can be connected to one or more m/cs. It would actually make sense putting tables and indexes on different controllers, if possible. However on our SW500s(with dual redundant controllers) we did try to separate the indexes and tables on to different raid sets (although we did not test whether it made any difference in performance).

Different chunksize at raid controller level while initializing the raid set did make a difference. We had carried out some tests (way back in 1995) on different chunksizes. Raid set defined with a particular chunksize(I don't remember the exact figure - 32 bytes may be) gave better perfomance. May be you could try to do the same (finding out which chunk size is better for your environment).

For backups, last year, we acquired an automated tape library TL893(if I remember correctly) which has 3 TZ89 drives and can store 264 compact IV 35/70 GB cartridges. It can backup upto 50 GB per hour. We take hot online backup our databases daily (24x7 problem). I also try to keep about 4 days of archive on the disks(to save time on retrieving archives from tape during a crisis) - databases may generate upto 10-12 GB of archive per day.

I would also suggest a database block size of 8 KB for Oracle (we are running 7.2/7.3/8.0).

I hope this helps,
Ajit