Re: Problems with Oracle Names

From: Jonathan Trifts <Jonathan.Trifts_at_CGI.CA.NOSPAM>
Date: 1998/01/27

Have you reconfigured SQL*NET?

The defaults in the SQLNET.ORA file refer to the domain "WORLD" which you will undoubtedly want to change to whatever your domain name is.

Similarly, your TNSNAMES.ORA file will be pointing to "world". Assuming you are working on a network with either TCP/IP or SPX/IP, lauch your SQL*NET EASY CONFIGURATION and input the new aliases, database names, SIDs, IP/SPX addressing, or whatever it is that is requested.

Then try to access through sql*plus again.

BTW, these SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files need to be on the client in the ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN folder (by default, unless you've changed the pathing).

The alternative to using EASY CONFIGURATION is to simply open the two aforementioned files in notepad (in fact you'll have to do this for SQLNET.ORA). Enter in your own values based on the way the default entries are (except for the "world" bit). But don't try to view it under EASY CONFIG after this as it will tell your files are incompatible and want to save them as *.OLD or *.001 or something.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Jonathan