RE: SQL*NET looses connection with ISDN

From: <imrad007_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/27

Knud:

My name is Russell Duff and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Your post caught my eye because I'm having the same problem. Though we are not using ISDN (we are using T-1) I think we are having the same problem. When I called Oracle WorldWide support they informed me that the connection between the client and the server was being broken (ORA-03113). I asked my rep is there a setting to increase the timeout of SQL*net and he replied "Their isn't". My rep told me that TCP/IP controls the timeout. I did a experiment last week in which I ran one of my applications (Patient Scheduler) in house and when it was running disconnect the network connection (manually pull the cable out from the wall) wait about 15 seconds and then plug the network connect back in. After I plugged the connection back in I received ORA-03113 when I requested more info from the app. Now TCP/IP is a monster in itself and to my understanding from what I've heard TCP/IP has a default timeout setting of ten seconds (This could be wrong but then again I'm not the TCP/IP master). You might want to check the bandwidth on the network to see if collisions are happening or bottle necking. Network isn't my thing but the Oracle rep suggested to increase the bandwidth because packets are colliding and distructing. A test you could do is decrease your number of users on your network and see if you still have the problem. Keep doing this until you don't receive the error. This should be a point were the network can handle the load of the packets or network traffic you are trying to push accross. Though this is advice and you can do with it what you want I would suggest to call Oracle World Wide support and get their two cents on the situation.

Russ
imrad007_at_hotmail.com