Re: Setting Up Oracle Enterprise Manager, Configuring Oracle Intelligent Agent

From: Brendan Newman <brnewma_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/01/25

Manoj Jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to install Oracle Enterprise Manager at a console to administer
> Oracle Databases. I need complete instructions and help in installation.
>
> We have Oracle Database instances running on Windows NT, and HP-9000
> machines. The aim is to adminster all these instances using Oracle
> Enterprise
> Manager from the same remote station. For this the repository needs to
> be
> created in a separate instance menant only for Enterprise Manager. I
> have
> created a separate instance and a DBA user called OEM. I have to also
> configure the Oracle Intelligent Agent.
>
> Could anyone help me with this?
>
> If anyone of you have done the similar excercise lately,
> could you please give me step by step things to be done.
>
> Thanks for your time and efforts in advance,
>
> Manoj Jain

From my experience, the Agent is a royal pain in the ass (on NT). Every time you install a new Oracle product, you run the risk of corrupting the Agent service. When this happens, I usually get one of two errors with my service: "Can't find the device specified" or "The storage blocks were destroyed". Luckily, after much pain and aggravation I found a working solution which doesn't screw up anything else (until now, I hope): the first message usually means I have to selectively re-install the Oracle Intelligent Agent from the CD and then run CATALOG.SQL as SYS; the second message usually means I just have to rerun CATALOG.SQL as SYS, because the tables/indices were partially corrupted.

After the above, I attempt to re-start the agent. After about half a minute it starts up. I change the service entry from Manual to Automatic, because I want it to start up every time I reboot my computer automatically.

I use the agent to run hot backups: remember to run BACKUPTS.SQL if you want hot backups to work properly. Works pretty well.

Hope this helps. Received on Sun Jan 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST