Re: JDBC thin client applet and Netscape security?

From: Markus Clermont <markus.clermont_at_uni-klu.ac.at>
Date: 1998/01/23

Peter Straehl schrieb:

> I'm trying to build an Applet with Oracle's thin client that should run
> on Netscape 4.04 and connect to an Oracle 7.3 DB on an other server than
> the web server. I have signed the Applet using Netscape's zigbert and I
> have enbled the ("UniversalConnect") privilege before I do the
> 'DriverManager.getConnection'. Though I keep getting a
> netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: Couldn't connect to
> '<serverXY>' with origin from '<pcClientXYZ>'.
>
> Would somebody who was successful in this area post an example how the
> applet should look like? Thank you.
>
> Peter.Straehl_at_ubs.ch

  Hi!

 I had the same problem, until I changed my code to the Following:

                       String db = new

String("http://oracle:jdbc:thin@my.database.server:TNSPORT:TNSID");

PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalConnect");

                        try
                        {

                                Properties p = new Properties();
                                p.put("user", user);
                                p.put("password", pass);

                                driver = DriverManager.getDriver(db);

                                m_Connection = driver.connect(db, p);
                                System.out.println("Connection
established!");
                        }
                        catch(Exception e1)
                        {
                                System.out.println(e1);
                                e1.printStackTrace(System.out);
                        }

I guess the problem is, that the class DriverManager is a local class, whereas Driver is signed by yourself. (Of course, that means that you must sign the archive, containing the oracle- jdbc classes!)

Greetings, Markus Received on Fri Jan 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST