Re: Can I use sqlnet v1 with an oracle 7.3 database or higher?????

From: Ian Dixon <iand_at_syntaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/23

In article <6a6q4g$uk8$1_at_news.NL.net> Noud Van Beek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've some dos applications (Forms3 and DataEase) which use sqlnet
 v1.1.6.7.
> They will be upgraded later this year but we won't wait upgrading our
> databases to 7.3 or even 8. Has anyone evere connected to and oracle7.3
 or
> oracle8 database with sqlnet version 1.1.6.7 (TCP/IP).
> Is there any solution or a workaround. Please help.

I've got an application that is still running the version 6 toolset but is talking to a 7.3.2.2 database via sqlnet v1. The trick was to put a 7.1.6 database in the middle then use database links that connect using net v2.

Basically what I did was move an existing schema from a 7.1.6 instance to 7.3. The tables were then renamed (just in case) and synonyms created in their place. The synonyms used a database link with a v2 connect string to reach the 7.3 instance.

There were a few problems getting it working but nothing that was too hard to solve. It's now been in daily use for over six months and I'm reasonably happy about the way that it works. It will be going soon but it has served its purpose.

OK, it's not elegant but it works

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian Received on Fri Jan 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST