Archiving old data

From: <neilw_at_dopra.securicor.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/23

I'm having a problem with archiving data. We have a system where data is stored in a single database. This database holds 3 years worth of data. After 3 years, I want to move the data to another database to be stored indefinitely. The idea was to use a CD Writer to store every 6 months worth of data. The problem is that we are using Oracle 7.1.6 on Dec Alpha and the CD Writer is on a PC (although there is a CD-ROM on the Dec Alpha).

Has anyone had any experience in creating archive databases that don't run into hundreds of Gig (we can't afford the disk space!), and possibly use Read-only media to store the data.

Many thanks in anticipation

Neil Weston

neilw_at_dopra.securicor.co.uk