Re: Help ! Performance with Oracle 7.3

From: <gjlinker_at_geocities.com>
Date: 1998/01/22

There is a way of determining whether the SQL is badly written or if there are missing indexes on the tables.

You can look at the execution plan Oracle uses to get all of your rows. Oracle will interpret the SQL and generate an execution plan to retrieve the data. The thing to avoid is that there are many full table scans performed.

To make the explain plan utility easy to use I wrote an Oracle Form with which you can actually play with it all. It takes your SQL and returns the execution plan. Additional help is available on all operations.

Have a look at http://members.aol.com/gjlinker I call the tool Explain.

Kind regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker