Re: Help ! Performance with Oracle 7.3

From: <ajitsingh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

In article <69t8r1$88o$1_at_news.NetVision.net.il>,   "AF1" <tel_at_sddss.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using a server NT 4 with Oracle 7.3. there is a table with 800 000
> Rows, I found the server very slow, but i don't know if it's a problem of
> tuning on oracle or if the server is not enought strong to run ORACLE. I
> give you the specification of Server:
> PC Intel Pentium 233 Mhz
> 64 Mo Ram
> Hard Disk SCSI 6 Go
> If you have any information on this case please help me !
> Thank you
> Richie

Hi,

You will need to identify the bottleneck first before you can go ahead and troubleshooot it. 64 MB RAM sounds small anyway. I have worked on Unix servers with 2-4 GB RAM, 150 GB database with some tables exceeding 10-15 million rows. Some of the points mentioned below may be of help to you. 1. Identify whether the bottleneck is at OS level by checking cpu utilization, io activity on disks, swapping on the system, network bottlenecks. 2. Identify oracle level bottlenecks by: (a) use v$session_wait view to identify events for which the sessions are waiting. (b) judge performance of the oracle & session thru v$systat and v$sesstat views. (c) check if two application sessions are locking each other out. On unix, there is a script called utllockt. Something similar should exist on NT. (d) you may need to tune dbwr performance, contention on redo log, db block buffers etc. (e) from v$sessstat if you notice that an application program is the bottlecneck use explain plan and tkprof to identify the bottlenecks. Common causes are lack of indexes & coding.

I hope this helps.

Bye
Ajit Singh
Sr. System & DBA