Re: Help ! Performance with Oracle 7.3

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1998/01/20

Manfred Traumueller wrote:

> Hi !
> Have a look on your redo logs !
> How many are there and how big they are !
> You should have 4 redo log groups with min. 2 members on diffrent disks and
>
> the size depends on your transactions ! Have a look in your alert file
> concerning
> Ceckpoint not completed !!! If this error is there increase your redo log
> files or add more redo log groups to your database !
>
> Br
> Manfred
>
> AF1 <tel_at_sddss.com> wrote in article
> <69t8r1$88o$1_at_news.NetVision.net.il>...
> > Hi,
> > I am using a server NT 4 with Oracle 7.3. there is a table with 800 000
> > Rows, I found the server very slow, but i don't know if it's a problem of
> > tuning on oracle or if the server is not enought strong to run ORACLE. I
> > give you the specification of Server:
> > PC Intel Pentium 233 Mhz
> > 64 Mo Ram
> > Hard Disk SCSI 6 Go
> > If you have any information on this case please help me !
> > Thank you
> > Richie

Hi,

if your application always uses all of the 800 000 records then your available emmory may be to small so that oracle has to fetch the recors from disk which will take an anormous amount of time.

Try estimating how many fo your records will always be used. Multiply this value with average row length, add some overhead of let's say 5% and you'll get the amount of memory you need to keep the often used records in RAM. Add some 10 Megs or more for the other oracle stuff (variables, parsed SQL's) and you've the an idea of the amount of memory oracles SGA needs. Take in mind, that the SGA shouldn't exceed 30%-50% of your server's memory.

So this was a quick and dirty memory estimamtion, to get more details take a look inot 'Tuning Oracle' by Corey, Abbaey.

Regards

Matthias Gresz :-) Received on Tue Jan 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST