Re: Oracle 8 & WebServer 2

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/20

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:17:44 +0100, Roberto Finelli <se_at_ipsnet.it> wrote:

>I read on the news a message about errors in Web Server 2 installation
>on Oracle 8, that is:
>>OWS-05526: Service OWA_DBA submission failed due to error 3121
>>ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed
>during the installation of DCD.
>
>I have the same problem. I read Thomas Kytes's answer, but his tip
>didn't help. I installed Sql*Net 2 and configured it as well,
>but I keep on getting errors in DCD installation, and I can't make
>SQL*Net 2 work together with Net8 neither alone with Oracle 8.
>What was wrong?
>
>Thanks anticipately
>
>Roberto Finelli
>se_at_ipsnet.it

You don't need to install sql*net2 to make this work. What you need to do is configure your Net8 listener with Oracle8 and use the already linked in sqlnet2 adapter with webserver. you must (assuming NT here, directory names are different for Unix)

  1. create your \orant\net80\admin\listener.ora file, for example, on a standalone machine it might look like:

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST=
    (ADDRESS=

        (PROTOCOL=IPC)
        (key=extproc)

    )
    (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (Host=localhost)
        (Port= 1521)

    )
  )
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (ORACLE_HOME= c:\orant)
      (SID_NAME = ORC1)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = extproc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = c:\orant)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = off

2) create a tnsnames.ora file in \orant\network\admin\tnsnames.ora (note: network\admin NOT net80\admin as above). It might look like:

localhost.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORC1)
    )
  )

3) test with svrmgr23.exe which would be installed in \orant\bin by the ows2.x install. For example:

C:\ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN>svrmgr23

Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994, 1995. All rights reserved.

ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed SVRMGR> connect scott/tiger_at_localhost.world Connected.
SVRMGR> Expect the "3121" from svrmgr23, it is to be expected and is normal in this case.

that should do it, you have connected a sqlnet2.x client to net80. You should be able to use that oracle home and sqlnet v2 connect string to connect your DCD to the database.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Jan 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST