Is anyone running Oracle7 and 8 in *SAME* OraHome

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1998/01/17

If you running Oracle7 (7.3.3) and Oracle8 (8.0.3) out of the same oralce home Windows NT 4, I would like to hear from you. The questions that I am seeking answers to are:

(I assume that Oracle7 was there, running, and you added Oracle8  to that installation)

  1. Did you let Oracle8 create the initial DB or you used the new DB assistant utility? If former is the case, did it over-write your existing 7.3 database?
  2. How did you access the Oracle8's new GUI utilities (e.g. Schema Manager, etc)? On my machine's Oracle Enterprise Manager group displays icons which still refer the 7.3 utilities. Is it how it's supposed to be?
  3. To define databse aliases, do you use Oracle Net8 Easy Config utility, or the SQL*Net Easy Config?
  4. In my case, I added 8 to the same OraHome as 7.3. I said no to the intial DB creation by the installer. I then created a new DB instance using the DB Assistant utility. But I couldn't connect to this new instance. Error message was something like could not resolve the service name. All of the services were running. Any ideas?

Any other gotcha's I have to be aware of?

Thanks very much for your help!

Regards,
nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com) Received on Sat Jan 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST