Re: How to make connection to the local database using Personal Oracle 7.2

From: Greg Teets <teetshd_at_email.uc.edu>
Date: 1998/01/15

Chris:
I've been asking how to connect to Personal Oracle7 out here for a long time and you've given me a clear answer. I did as you suggested to Dmitry and installed TCP/IP from Windows95.

Next, I installed SQLNet from the easy configuration.

My TNSNAMES.ORA file now contains the following entry: GregStock.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = Greg)
(Port = 1521)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = Greg)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = 2:)
    )
  )

Then I tried the following as shown in the SQLNet documentation: C:\>tnsping GregStock

I got the following:

TNS Ping Utility for WINDOWS 32: Version 2.2.2.0.0 - Production on 14-JAN-98 23:
45:43

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1995. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact
(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcp.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=Greg)(Port=1521)) TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Can you explain to me what is going wrong?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Greg in Cincinnati