How to "Enhance" Oracle ?

From: xbl <xbl_at_hsis.ee.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Date: 1998/01/14

                  How to "Enhance" Oracle ?
Hi,
  I am a beginner user of Oracle 7.3 for Windows NT. I want to "enhance" Oracle Server...
  One of my tables contains a LONG RAW field to hold JPEG images. The client end can submit a query with a image. The server end gets the input image, compares it with the images in the table, and returns the result set with a criterion of the similarity of the images (such as >=90%). Obviously, the comparison cannot be implemented in SQL or PL/SQL. In fact, it is written in C/C++. To reduce network traffic, I cannot do the comparison at the client end, of course. So I MUST do the comparison at the server end.
  I won't modify the Client/Server architecture of Oracle DBMS. So, how can I insert my C/C++ codes in to Oracle DBMS Server to do that? In fact, the problem is, how can I write a function in C/C++, then I can use it like other functions either stock in SQL or custom written in PL/SQL.

  Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Jan 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CST