Re: Improving CGI/ODBC/Oracle8 Performance

From: Sean Black <zoot_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1998/01/13

Roy Smith wrote:
> Sean Black <zoot_at_mcs.net> wrote:
> > It appears that the vast majority
> > of that time is spent in making the connection from the application to
> > Oracle8--once connected, the queries seem to execute very quickly.
>
> The obvious answer is some sort of persitant intermediary process, which
> connects once to the database and hangs around waiting to serve CGI
> requests.

One thing I should have included in the original message: switching away from CGI is not really an option. I agree that using ISAPI/NSAPI/FastCGI or some other API that allows for application persistence would be "optimal" (at least from a performance perspective--I won't go into a stability/speed of development & debugging/portability analysis here). What I don't understand is the reason Oracle8 performance is _so much_ poorer than SQL Server's is. Since in our tests both DBMSs are facing the same "challenges" inherent in CGI (namely, the constant loading and unloading of the driver along with the application), I'd have thought performance would be more equal. This leads me to believe that I simply have something misconfigured or de-tuned. Any help is appreciated! 8-)

I will post a summary of information I learn as this seems to be a problem others have as well.

Regards,

--
Sean Black
zoot_at_mcs.net