Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: John Pagonis <project24_at_coldgin.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/12

Bjorn Borud wrote:

> ["Bill Eldridge" <bill_at_rfa.org>]
> |
> | Larry discovered quite quickly with his Network Computer
> | that if you plan on cutting out all the PC vendors, they'll
> | quickly cut your throat.
>
> exactly what _is_ the definition of a "Network Computer"? if it means
> "semi-diskless workstation" then there's no threat to the PC market at
> all since a PC running some neat OS like FreeBSD or Linux already can
> be made to jump through hoops -- and PCs are _cheap_.
>
> if it means "special hardware for running JavaOS" it is time people
> got their heads out of their asses and realized that pure Java
> environments are for now at best a glimpse of the future.
>
> -Bjørn
> --
> Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no> | "The Net interprets censorship
> <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/> | as damage and routes around it."
> UNIX person, one of "them" | - John Gilmore

  NO NO NO pureJava is Linux opportinuty to catch up and be accepted by the big guys.......is what Linus asked for...."Applications and more Application"...it is not a glimpse of the future, what is a glimpse of the future
is Sun's M$-Killer , JavaOS, which by the way Sun's dream of becaming (hopefully not like) M$ in place of M$, somebody had to do it anyway,........
We should support pure Java but be causious of Sun....... you'll remember me after 2 years........or less

John Received on Mon Jan 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST