Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1998/01/10

Jerry Gitomer (jgitomer_at_p3.net) wrote:
: I guess that I have been lucky. I mean I installed Oracle 7.3.3 on
: installed Oracle on AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO, and NT. I have
: installed several versions of Oracle (7.0 beta and production,
: 7.1.4, 7.1.6, 7.2.3, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, and 8.0.3) and have never had
: the types of problems you describe.

8.0.3 on Sun SPARC does indeed look for /etc/oratab despite having installed the file in /var/opt/oracle.

Fixed in the next release if you are 8.0.3, broken in the next release if you are 7.3.4.

: Oh, one thing I didn't mention that may be of signifigance is that
: for most of these installs I have either been the Unix Systems
: Administrator or had access to the root account in addition to
: being the Oracle DBA. As a result I have been able to configure
: the boxes the way I wanted without having to get permission or
: convince an SA before I did anything.

I'd take that as granted seeing as you generallyhave to play with the kernel specs. If you ain't uid 0 or working with the chaps with white hats you are in a tough place trying to install Oracle on a *nix platform.

IAP

--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'