Re: What to do with archived redo-logs ?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1998/01/09

Cheng-Jih Chen wrote:

> In article <34B677B5.7F14_at_bekaert.com>,
> MARREEL Chris <MARREEL_CHRIS/BENG_at_bekaert.com> wrote:
> >John P. Higgins wrote:

> >> 1) You need to do a cold backup after you have restarted archivelog
> >> mode.
> >
> >Why ?
> >Why shouldn't I do a normal (Online backup) backup ?
>
> Not sure. I was under the impression a hot backup should be sufficient
> in this case.

Maybe I said this too strongly. If you do a hot backup after restarting archivelog mode and the system crashes before the backup is complete, then the only backup you have is prior to the big batch job. You would have to restore and recover up to the last available log and rerun your batch job. If you can accept this (admittedly small) risk, go with your normal hot backup.

If the hot backup completes ok, then it is certainly sufficient. Received on Fri Jan 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST