Re: Cannot get parameterized queries to work for ORACLE

From: Doug Beers <dbeers_at_mich.com>
Date: 1998/01/09

Hi Andrej,
I have been fighting a similar problem with Delphi 1 with paramaterized queries. It works fine with Interbase, but not with the company production tables that are created with a DBX utility. I tried it with Params, ParamByName, and SQLStr - all with no paramater being passed to my query. It must be a function of the database being slightly different depending on the product that is used for its creation. The work-around that we found was to assign a string variable prior to the Add statement like the following:

          StringVar := CurrentString;
          qry.SQL.Add('SELECT * from "Table1" WHERE FieldID = ' +
StringVar + 'ORDER BY Whatever');

Maybe this will work for you as well. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Doug Beers
dbeers_at_mich.com
Doug_Beers_at_Guardian.com

Andrej Gabara wrote:

> Hi Railton,
>
> I haven't tested it on LocalSQL because it works on Interbase. I'm
> not using LocalSQL because it is a bit different to real SQL.
>
> Thank's
> Andrej
>
> Railton Frith wrote:
> >
> > Just a wild stab in the dark.
> >
> > But could it be that ID is a reserved word?
> >
> > Have you tried the same code on LocalSQL?
> >
> > HNY
> >
> > Railton....
> >
> > Andrej Gabara wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using Delphi 2 C/S and Oracle 7.3. I'm trying to do the
 following:

> > > Query.SQL.Add('SELECT * FROM Foo');
> > > Query.SQL.Add(' WHERE FooId = :ID');
> > > Query.Prepare;
> > >
> > > Query.ParamByName('ID').AsString := 'Duh';
> > > Query.Open;
> > >
> > > Using the Oracle SQL Links driver, I get an EDBEngineError
 exception
> > > for the 'Query.Open' instruction. The message is something like
> > > 'Capability not supported' (I'm using the German version, and the
 German